Tuesday, April 10, 2012

30 Days of Honesty (and one dare) - Day 10


Day 10 — The last time I snooped into something I wasn’t supposed to (like a medicine cabinet in a friend’s bathroom), I found…

Oh.  Oh dear.  This probably wasn't the "last time" I snooped.  Maybe closer to the first time.

I was perhaps ten.  My mother was away, probably for work, and her best friend was housesitting.  One day, I was sick, and asked to stay home from school.  Mom's friend did the responsible thing, and took me to work with her (who leaves a ten year old home alone?).  She worked at a hotel and lived in a room there.  I was supposed to nap the day away while watching Disney movies.  ("Bottom Drawer!" she said.)

Sifting through the bottom drawer revealed nothing that caught my eye.  So I widened the search.  Guess what isn't in the middle drawer.  More Disney movies.  Guess what IS in the middle drawer...

P-O-R-N


You heard me. 


I was horrified.  I was embarrassed.  I was confused.  Magazines, videos, "toys."  Each thing more confusing and unidentifiable than the last.


I don't snoop anymore.  It's just not worth it.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man. My poor ten-year-old little brain would probably have exploded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is most definitely not the way a ten year old should learn about the birds and bees. Traumatizing but you probably slept the rest of the day away. Did you tell anyone (adult)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did eventually work up the courage to tell my mom, but it wasn't until much, much later. We still joke about it (and nobody ever told her friend)

      Delete