Monday, May 3, 2010

Welcome to my first TTC freakout

Still in our first cycle of TTC and we've arrived at our very first TTC freakout.

I saw the new OB/GYN last week to discuss that we are TTC and talked about all of the meds that I am on and will need to discontinue. I didn't get a wonderful feeling from her, for a few reasons. She made me feel a little stupid at times (I was asking if Tom's age would be of any concern. She stared at me blankly. I said that I knew there was some danger involved in having older mothers, and wasn't sure if that applied to fathers too. She said that there was no danger at all in having an "older" (late 30's-40's or beyond) mother. I'm thinking - really? No danger? No increased risk of miscarriage or fetal abnormalities that you can think of? Nothing?) and just overall didn't give me a very good feeling. When I am pregnant, I'll be switching to another doc in the practice. But I digress.

I complained about dryness making sex uncomfortable/painful/not enjoyable, and said that we've tried every lube on the market, and nothing has helped. She took a look down there and said it looked "kind of red and irritated" but saw no sign of infection. So she prescribed an estrogen cream called Estrace. I SPECIFICALLY told her, we are TTC, and asked if it was safe to use while TTC and while pregnant. She said YES. Not a moment's hesitation. I haven't used it yet, but I filled the (Very Pricey scrip) and today, I was cruising safefetus.com and checked it out. It's rated X! Positive evidence of human fetal risk exists. Fetal risk involved in use of drug, clearly outweighs potential benefit. Contraindicated in women who are or may become pregnant. Don’t use.

What?! Why would she prescribe this? What should I do?! Some of the girls on the TTGP boards are telling me that Estrace is used commonly in IF treatments. So I don't know, I guess I need to do some more research.

Either way, I'm not happy with her, and am planning on getting a new doctor once I get pregnant. She's my second Gyn since March (yes, and it's only May) but I think I really need one that I trust. Anyone who makes me feel stupid for asking questions is NOT a good match for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment